What is Titanium Carbide:
The chemical formula of titanium carbide is TiC and the molecular weight is 59.89. Gray metal-like face-centered cubic lattice solid. The melting point is 3140±90°C, the boiling point is 4820°C, and the relative density is 4.93. The hardness is greater than 9. Insoluble in water, soluble in nitric acid and aqua regia. It is stable to air when it is lower than 800℃, it is corroded by air when it is higher than 2000℃, and it can react with pure O2 when it is 1150℃.
Titanium carbide powder is a very hard (Mohs 9–9.5) refractory ceramic material, similar to tungsten carbide. It has the appearance of a black powder and has a sodium chloride (face-centered cubic) crystal structure. Titanium carbide has an elastic modulus of about 400 GPa and a shear modulus of 188 GPa
Titanium carbide powder appears in nature as a very rare mineral Rhodochrosite (Ti, V, Fe) C. It was discovered in 1984 on the Ala Mountain in the Chagar region of the Soviet Union (modern Kyrgyzstan) near the border of Uzbekistan. Found in nature, the size of its crystals ranges from 0.1 to 0.3 mm. Feel free to send an inquiry to get the latest price if you would like to buy Titanium Carbide TiC Powder in bulk.
Properties of Titanium Carbide TiC Powder :
The chemical formula TiC has a molecular weight of 59.89. Gray metallic lustrous crystalline solid. The melting point is 3140℃, the boiling point is 4820℃, and the relative density is 4.93. Hardness 9-10. Insoluble in water, soluble in nitric acid and aqua regia. It is stable to air when it is lower than 800℃, eroded by air when it is higher than 2000℃ and can react with pure oxygen at 1150℃. Used for making cemented carbide, also used as electrode and abrasive of arc lamp.
Technical Parameter of Titanium Carbide TiC Powder :
How is Titanium Carbide TiC Powder produced?
There are many ways to synthesize titanium carbide, the most common are the following:
1. Carbothermic reduction method
Use carbon black to reduce TiO2, the reaction temperature range is 1700-2100℃, and the chemical reaction formula is TiO2(s)+3C(s)=TiC(S)+2CO(g).
2. Direct carbonizationTi powder and carbon powder react to generate TiC. The chemical reaction formula is: Ti(s)+C(s)=TiC. Because it is difficult to prepare sub-micron metal Ti powder, the application of this method is limited. The above reaction takes 5-20 hours to complete, and the reaction process is difficult to control. The reactants agglomerate seriously, and further grinding processing is required to prepare fine particles. Granular TiC powder. In order to obtain a purer product, it is necessary to chemically purify the fine powder after ball milling.
3. Chemical vapor deposition
The synthesis method utilizes the reaction between TiCl4, H2 and C. The reactant reacts with the hot tungsten or carbon monofilament, and TiC crystals grow directly on the monofilament. The TiC powder synthesized by this method has strict limits on its output and sometimes even it's quality. In addition, due to TiCl4 and the product, The HCl contained in it is strongly corrosive, so be careful when synthesizing it.
4. Sol-gel method
A method for preparing small particle size products by thoroughly mixing and dispersing materials by means of a solution. It has the advantages of good chemical uniformity, small powder particle size and narrow distribution, and low heat treatment temperature, but the synthesis process is complex and the drying shrinkage is large.
5. Microwave method
Take nano TiO2 and carbon black as raw materials, use the principle of the carbothermal reduction reaction, and use microwave energy to heat the material. In fact, it uses the dielectric loss of the material in the high-frequency electric field to convert microwave energy into heat energy, so that nano-TiO2 and carbon are synthesized into TiC.
6. Blast impact method
The titanium dioxide powder and the carbon powder are mixed in a certain proportion and pressed into a cylinder of Φ10mm×5mm to prepare the precursor, the density is 1.5g/cm3, and the laboratory is put into a metal constrained outer cylinder. Put it into a self-made airtight explosion container for the experiment, and collect the detonation ash after the explosion shock wave. After preliminary sieving, large impurities such as iron filings are removed, and black powder is obtained. The black powder becomes brown after being soaked in aqua regia for 24 hours, and finally put into a muffle furnace and calcined at 400°C for 400 minutes to obtain a silver-gray powder.
7. High-frequency induction carbothermic reduction method
Weigh and mix the pigment-grade titanium dioxide powder and charcoal powder at a molar ratio of 1:3 and 1:4, add them into a ball mill tank, and mill them on a planetary ball mill for 6-10 hours at a speed of 300-400r/min, and then mill the material. Press the tablet press to form a block of 2cm×2cm～2cm×4cm, and finally, put the material into the graphite crucible and put it into the high-frequency induction heating equipment, argon gas as a protective atmosphere, and gradually adjust the current of the high-frequency induction equipment to 500A causes the material to undergo a carbothermal reduction reaction, and keep it for 20 minutes. After the heat preservation is completed, the reduced product is naturally cooled to room temperature under an argon atmosphere, and the reduced product is taken out, and after grinding and crushing, ultra-fine titanium carbide powder is obtained.
Applications of Titanium Carbide TiC Powder:
The titanium carbide uses is to make cemented carbide, which is also used as an electrode and abrasive for arc lamps.
1. Titanium carbide powder, used for high-temperature thermal spraying materials, welding materials, hard film materials, military aviation materials, hard alloys and cermets.
2. Titanium carbide is used as an additive in thermistor production to improve wear resistance.
3. Titanium carbide powder has a NaCl type cubic crystal structure, and 6% to 30% TiC is added to the WC-Co cemented carbide to form a TiC-WC solid solution with WC, which can significantly improve the red heat and the wear resistance of the alloy.
4. Titanium carbide has anti-oxidation and anti-corrosion properties and is more suitable for processing steel than WC-Co cemented carbide.
5. Titanium carbide can also use alloys such as Ni-Mo as a binder to form tungsten-free cemented carbide, which can increase the turning speed and the accuracy and smoothness of the workpiece.
6. Titanium carbide is used to prepare cermets, which are usually used for steel processing with high cutting speeds.
7. Titanium carbide is also used as a wear-resistant surface coating on metal parts such as knife heads and watch mechanisms.
8. Titanium carbide is also used as a thermal insulation coating for re-entry of spacecraft atmosphere.
Storage Condition of Titanium Carbide TiC Powder :
Titanium Carbide TiC Powder should be sealed in vacuum and stored in cool and dry room and it should not be exposure to air. In addition, the product should be avoided under stress.
Packing & Shipping of Antimony Selenide Sb2Se3 Powder :
Titanium Carbide TiC Powder packing: vacuum packing, 1kg/bag, 25kg/barrel, or as your request.
Titanium Carbide TiC Powder shipping: could be shipped out by sea , by air, by express as soon as possible once payment receipt.
Titanium Carbide Properties
|Other Names||titanium(IV) carbide, TiC powder|
|Melting Point||3160 °C|
|Boiling Point||4820 °C|
|Solubility in H2O||N/A|
Titanium Carbide Health & Safety Information
15+ years of experience
Over $50+ million in sales
14+ years of experience
Over $50+ million in sales
Item No.: Tr-Si Silicon powder is a non-toxic, odorless, non-polluting inorganic non-metallic material. It has good temperature resistance, acid and alkali corrosion resistance, high insulation.Purity(%): >99.95APS(nm)…
Item No.: Tr-diamond Diamond Nanopowder is the hardest known material. The industrial production of nano-scaled diamonds takes place at high temperatures and under high pressure.Purity: 99.5%Color: blackAPS: 3-5 nm…
Item No.: Tr-SiB6 Silicon boride (Silicon Hexaboride) is a shiny black-gray powder with a relative density of 3.0g/cm3 and a melting point of 2200°C. Purity: >99%Particle size: 20-40um…